Friday, August 24, 2007

Wonderful surprises


Even when I feel I am adjusting pretty well here in Taipei, something always happens to remind me that I still have a lot to learn. But these are not all frustrating experiences. Sometimes I am surprised by the unexpected honesty and generosity of the people.

A couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning, I felt I was running late for church so I decided to get a cab. Of all the cabs that were available, I got into one without air conditioning when the morning temperature was already 30 C. I kicked myself for being so “smart”. All the way in the cab, I was sweating. When we were 2 minutes away from the church, the cab driver told me that he would only charge me NT$1100 because there was no air conditioning in the cab; and he felt bad that it was so uncomfortable for me. The normal fare is around NT$125.

There was another time when 2 congregation members and I took a cab to a restaurant for lunch. I told the driver the address, and when he did not make a right turn at 2 possible streets to get to the restaurant, I wondered what route he’d take. Twice I asked him if this was how we could get to the restaurant. A trip that normally takes 10 minutes ended up taking us 20 minutes. The three of us whispered among ourselves that the driver must be taking us for the ride. When we arrived, he charged us NT$100 when the meter said NT$185.

Yet another time, I took a cab back to the church after a lunch appointment. When the cab got to an intersection, instead of making a left turn, he made a right turn. And he had to drive quite a distance before he could make a U-turn. When we got to the church, he charged me less than the meter.

There are definitely wonderful surprises here.