Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Unexpected Guests

Friday afternoon, December 21, 2007, I was working on my sermon in the office when I got a phone call from one of the church social workers saying there was a problem on the 1st floor and if I could go down to help. So I put my sermon writing aside and went downstairs to see what the problem was.

A couple, friends of the social worker, found 2 kittens on the roof of their noodle shop. The 2 kittens had been meowing all day; and according to the couple the cat mother did not come to feed the kittens. The couple took the kittens down from the roof, but not knowing how to take care of these 1-month old kittens, they decided to take them to their friend at the church.

The thought of me having to take in these 2 kittens did not look appealing to me even though they looked very cute. Timing was not good; I had Christmas Eve and Christmas day services to take care of; I did not have time to acclimate 2 kittens. So I called a member of the congregation who loves cats hoping she could take them in. She has 5 cats; so what’s 2 more kittens?

When the member said she has no space in her apartment for 2 more kittens, and suggested I could keep them temporarily. I did not know what to say. Interestingly the Gospel reading for the coming Sunday was about Joseph, and I felt like Joseph, not being able to say no. But were the 2 kittens to help me understand Joseph’s situation? Were these 2 kittens a Christmas blessing from God? Was God trying to expand my understanding of Emmanuel? In my heart I could not put these kittens out on the street again, but timing seemed so bad for me. On the other hand, there was no better time than the present to share God's love, however inconvenient it may seem. That's what being Christian is all about

The next day, I became these 2 kittens’ foster parent.